Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Fashion Forward

Fashion Forward


In a reality show show famed for catty contestants, Buffi Jashanmal became a popular fixture on this year’s Project Runway for her unique style and positive personality.
The Dubai designer was one of 16 hopefuls competing in the long-running series, hosted by German supermodel Heidi Klum, to make their name in the world of fashion.

Buffi was eliminated a little more than a fortnight ago during the ‘Women on the Go’ week – where her typically colourful and offbeat outfit (which included combinations of pink and zebra print) failed to wow a judging panel that included veteran designer Michael Kors and Heroes actress Hayden Panettiere.

With the dust settling after her time on the show, Buffi tells us what she’s up to next.

What prompted you to join the tenth season of Project Runway?

It’s something I always wanted to do. I applied in the past but never got through the whole application paperwork, it’s like 40 pages! This year seemed like the right time to finally commit to do it. I had other small projects going on, my book and teaching, and it seemed like the right window at the right time.

Was your time on the show easier or harder than you expected?

It was the hardest and the most exciting thing I have ever done. I learnt so much, met some amazing talented people and pushed myself harder than ever before. Ultimately, it taught me to remain true to myself.

Can you describe your personal sense of style?

It’s primarily fun, quirky and playful! I love colour, print and like to use both unexpectedly in my outfits.

Does the Middle East influence your designs at all?

Yes, of course. The colours and variety from the Middle East and my Indian background do influence me. I think having such a mixed background (half Indian and half Australian, growing up in the UAE and UK) has had a huge impact on my style.

Where do your ambitions lie within the fashion industry?

I think I should probably focus on a younger market, the downtown hip kids of New York who are up for playing dress up with their clothes. The younger generation gets me!

Has appearing on a reality show lived up to what you expected of the TV genre?

It has been the best time of my life, and something so unique and special. I made friends for life. Even though we were against each other in challenges, I learnt so much from everyone that participated in the show.

Can you tell us about the book you’re working on?

I’m writing a book on dressmaking. Storey Publishing contacted me a couple of years ago and asked me to write the book. It is a different approach to dressmaking, with technical skills and craft skills combined. As I have a background in fashion, it is a little more in depth than most dressmaking books. It aims to inspire those who are beginners and also advanced. The book is organised in three levels, so you can really grow as a dressmaker, designer and crafter with the book. It launches in February 2014.

Has hailing from the Jashanmal family (renowned for their assorted retail chains in the Gulf) taught you a solid business sense?

My dad has always given me great business advice, so I always turn to him for anything related to business.

Who do you want to win this year’s Project Runway, and who do you think will win?

When I first met Chris I thought he was amazing, so I hope he goes through. Melissa is super-talented and her style is so…her! It’s incredible what a great designer she is. Ven is also super-talented, although I don’t know if he fits the Project Runway designer mould.

How much private time do contestants get while filming is taking place?

Not much. We shot like 16 to 20 hours a day.

Do you have any regrets about your choice of outfit for the ‘Woman on the Go’ week, in which you were eliminated?

I wouldn’t change a thing. The (lack of) time was a challenge, but I did the best I could. I’m really happy with how I went out – I think I was true to myself and that’s the most important thing.

What have you been up to in the fortnight since you left the show?

Apart from my book, I’m making one-off performance pieces for New York artist Cherie Lily and burlesque dancer Angie Pontani, and model Plastic Martyr. I’ve also found a great client base directly from the show, which has already opened a lot of doors. I’ve got a blog (http://buffijashanmalsotacky.blogspot.com), which covers things like style, and tips on sewing and dressmaking.

Did you accept the judges’ criticisms in your final week, or do you feel they were at all unfair?

Sure. They have their opinions and everyone is different. You have to be able to take criticism as a designer. I know that they aren’t part of my client base, so it didn’t offend me. I was heartbroken, but mainly because I had to say goodbye to everyone. I know that I don’t fit the conventional mould of the judges, so I was there to show the audience (my potential clients) my style more than anything. I think I achieved that.

After getting to know the show’s style mentor Tim Gunn during filming, what do you think of him?

He is the most amazing, incredible, sweet and kind man I have ever met, and a great teacher. If Tim doesn’t get it, then you’re in trouble. Luckily, he always got me.

No comments:

Post a Comment